Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Great Wall


Posts about China, 1 of 7.

Well just got back from a 3 week vacation in China.  We tend to travel around once we get to China.

Great Wall.

Today the couple that was showing Jennah and I around Beijing took us to the city of Jinshanling.  It's about 100km outside of Beijing and a couple of their friends joined us.  This was one of the most enjoyable outings so far since their friend is also a photographer, he knows the area and also knows the famous photographer Zhou Wanping, who lives very humbly next to the Wall he loves.

With that introduction, I learned a lot about my camera, lens and how to shoot pictures all together.  So unlike the main tourist section of the Wall in Beijing, this section has less reconstruction and a lot less people.  I was surprise that there was less than 50 people about when we where there and a lot of my pictures I could take without anyone being seen.

So we cheated a bit, we took the tram up to the top and avoided the hike.  Since my guides where my seniors, we saved our hiking for the wall itself and that brings me to the first picture.  This is the first site that you see off the tram.



This is is a bit deceptive because once you walk past that set of bushes you are presented with this.  It was very hazy or rainy the whole time I was in China.  Which on a side note was a good thing for the farmers and people since there has been a long 3 year drought.

Looking left.

Looking right.

Now this presented a problem, I wanted to explore the whole thing and now realized that I could spend a couple of days doing it.  As it turned out I only got the three of the battlements.  The one in the first picture is the starting point from the tram and from there you can turn right of left.  We turned left to go to the one battlement that has the least to no reconstruction.  This is a picture of it from the approach.


I guess now is time for a few select pictures.

This is the group that showed me around.  The only language that we shared was photography.


No comments:

Post a Comment