Monday, January 27, 2014

LA 2013 La Brea

Ok this next one was a bit of a shocker.  We where driving back from a restaurant and we needed to turn on La Brea.  That sparked a memory and I knew of the La Brea Tar Pits but I was not sure where they where.  Thus when I got back to the place we where staying I had to look them up.  Lo and behold the tar pits ended up being about 5 miles from our current location.  Thus it became the next place where we had to go.  (Not everyone was excited and I think my daughter was mildly enthusiastic.)

First off, the Page Museum is a small one but a working one.  They actually had a couple of people cleaning fossils in the work area the day we went.  But what I found really fascinating was the fact that grad students roamed the floor talking about different things on display.  Also the items that where displayed where all from the pits and most where the actual fossils.

Here are some of the items being worked on.


I like how this is just propped in the corner.



Some of the displays.



This is a shot of the tar lake.  They have it fenced off but the park surrounding the museum has several areas where tar can be seen.  They place little square fences around new tar wellings.  I would just have to wonder about the surrounding buildings and their foundations.  Oh and one other thing.  As I was leaving, I was talking along the sidewalk outside of the park and noticed and area of the sidewalk that was covered in what looked like was tar.  Sure enough, a little spring was seeping up between the two sidewalk slabs.


This last one was from the museum next to the park.  It is me trying to be artsy.


No comments:

Post a Comment